The Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) required technical expertise and assistance with review of its career pathways for middle and high school students and implementation of employability skills and work-based learning (WBL) opportunities. The Bridge Bill of 2010 and additional legislative mandates require that all Georgia students be aware of career and post-secondary education options, have access to supports and services, and be college and career ready. Georgia’s Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plan added specific indicators to the College and Career Readiness Index (state accountability measure) to reflect success of schools and districts in implementing these mandates.
The Southeast Comprehensive Center (SECC), in collaboration with the College & Career Readiness & Success Center, is supporting GaDOE in this work which includes:
- Collection and analysis of feedback on more than 3,000 career pathways courses
- Planning/facilitation of a statewide employability skills task force and creation of a brochure detailing recommendations for stakeholders (i.e., policymakers, business, district/school leaders)
- Cosponsorship of a regional work-based learning workshop for nearly 500 educators and leaders from Georgia and 16 other states and follow-up support for WBL efforts
Development of one-page profiles highlighting employability skills initiatives that have been successfully implemented by a number of Georgia’s districts and schools
- Increased knowledge and skills of GaDOE staff to support implementation of ESSA in districts and schools
- Improved organizational structures and processes in GaDOE to identify gaps in college- and career-readiness services and to support continuous improvement
- Implementation and sustainability of Georgia’s career pathways, employability skills, and quality WBL opportunities for students throughout the state
SECC will continue to work with GaDOE on review of career pathways courses and development of additional employability skills profiles. The comprehensive center also will assist GaDOE with development of a strategic plan for statewide implementation of the Georgia Employability Skills Task Force Recommendations.