The South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) continues to administer and refine its ADEPT (Assisting, Developing, and Evaluating Professional Teaching) system—the vehicle for teacher evaluation, licensure, and professional development in the state. The Southeast Comprehensive Center (SECC) assisted SCDE with determining educator experiences and perspectives relevant to implementation of the student learning objectives (SLO) process, a component of the ADEPT system.
SECC provided technical assistance to SCDE with obtaining and analyzing educator experiences and perspectives relevant to implementation of the SLO process as follows:
- Consultation and thought-partnering with the Ohio Department of Education, Rhode Island Department of Education, and the Texas Education Agency to inform the revision of South Carolina’s teacher evaluation system based on practices deemed highly effective by the above state education agencies
- Development and administration of a survey to gather district-level perception data from 7,944 teachers and school administrators
- Facilitation of a work session to outline implementation data collection needs
- Coordination of an on-site focus group and 6 virtual focus groups to obtain feedback from 35 educators (including 14 administrators and 21 teachers and instructional coaches statewide)
- Data gathering and analysis of data
- Completion of a final report summarizing findings from the survey and focus groups as well as recommendations for continuous improvement and sustainability of efforts
- Refined and implemented a process for monitoring implementation progress of the ADEPT system
- Enhanced South Carolina’s capacity to design a structure to facilitate stakeholder engagement to inform
- Increased SCDE staff knowledge and skills in the areas of data collection and data analysis
- Increased human capacity to support local education agencies and educators in the development of leadership, skills, experience, and knowledge regarding the SLO implementation process
SECC will continue to work with SCDE as it uses the results of the ADEPT study to refine its educator evaluation system and the supports provided to educators as they implement the SLO process.