About the Event
The SECC Equity Summit–Accountable Leadership: Opportunities for Equitable Systems will take place November 29–30, 2018, at the Historic King Edward Hotel – Hilton Garden Inn in Jackson, Mississippi. The event, which follows several optional pre-summit activities, offers state and local education agency leadership and other education stakeholders the opportunity to take stock of the conditions, practices, and policies within their states and local contexts that call for attention to equity as a moral imperative.
- To ground participants’ equity-related understandings, plans, and actions in local, immediate, and historical realities linked to human rights and civil rights.
- To engage stakeholders in a critical review and interpretation of education data, particularly with regard to persistent education gaps among various subgroups.
- Examine state equity-related patterns and trends within the context of educational communities and their geographic locations and identify the equity strengths and challenges within their states.
- Review content alignment of equity-related Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plans and initiatives and analyze the evidence-based strategies and implementation efforts of plans and initiatives for indicators of impact on student learning.
- Develop ESSA-related Equity Accountability Commitment Plans for post-summit implementation.