This resource from the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) furnishes state education agency (SEA) staff with best practices for promoting the use of state and school report cards for continuous school improvement. CCSSO recommends a number of best practices for creating a complete picture of state, school, and student performance.
- Gathering and responding to stakeholder feedback
- Prioritizing information to best meet stakeholder needs
- Using clear language and, if necessary, providing language translations to ensure understanding and accessibility
- Using tables, graphs, figures, infographics, and descriptive text to promote data comprehension
- Creating a functional report card interface to support the user’s particular goal(s)
- Ensuring data quality and aligning various data reporting tools to assist stakeholders
This document describes how selected states and schools use report cards to communicate educational performance as part of their accountability systems and provides key questions for SEA staff to consider as they work to enhance their ability to convey education data.