This 2018 guide from the Education Commission of the States (ECS) provides state education policymakers with a list of their 12 most commonly requested topics related to K–3 education. Under each topic, policymakers will find a variety of resources, including a rationale for why the topic matters, a review of statewide initiatives, state examples, questions to promote conversation surrounding K–3 education, and links to additional documents.
ECS’ most commonly requested topics related to K–3 education are as follows:
- kindergarten through third grade;
- full-day kindergarten;
- third-grade reading and math;
- high-quality programs;
- aligned standards, curricula, and assessments;
- dual-language learners; and
- special education (p. 3).