This brief by the Center on Standards and Assessment Implementation (CSAI) offers five strong recommendations for state education agencies (SEAs), local education agencies (LEAs), principals, and teachers on the use of student assessment data to support decision-making. For each of the recommendations, the brief includes examples of states, LEAs, and schools that are effectively implementing the recommendation. The brief offers a user-friendly guide for appropriate use of data and for the value it can provide stakeholders at various levels.
The recommendations are as follows:
- Use data to inform decision-making and improve the ability to meet student learning needs.
- Empower students to analyze their own data and to independently set learning goals.
- Develop a strategic vision for data use that includes a clear schoolwide plan.
- Support a culture of data use in which educators understand their roles and are skilled in data analysis.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive data system in which all stakeholders are included.