This toolkit, compiled by Results for America, provides five recommendations for moving from compliance-focused human services contracting to outcomes-focused contracting. It offers examples from state and local governments that successfully implemented the recommendations. Links to tools and templates are also included.
These are the recommendations:
- Gather feedback from stakeholders, prior to preparing a request for proposal, to develop outcome-based goals.
- Break down funding silos to align programs and streamline allowable uses that will enable long-term change.
- Develop contracts that focus on outcomes that meet community needs and preferential evidence.
- Fund outcome-based results while incentivizing providers to build and use evidence of success.
- Build feedback loops with performance monitoring throughout the life of the contract.
The authors assert that, when these recommendations are implemented, government service providers can create a collaborative culture of continuous improvement that builds a win-win solution for agencies, vendors, and participants in government programs.